Agency Title: Project Manager (Real Estate)
Job ID: 8956
Open To: Public
Open Period: November 4, 2019 – November 19, 2019
The District of Columbia’s Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED) assists the Mayor in the coordination, planning, supervision, and execution of economic development efforts in the District of Columbia with the goal of creating and preserving affordable housing, creating jobs, and increasing tax revenue. More information is available on the DMPED’s website at dmped.dc.gov. DMPED is seeking a Project Manager for its Real Estate Development unit.
The Real Estate Development unit implements real estate development projects involving District-owned land which support the District’s goals of promoting stronger neighborhoods in all 8 Wards. This unit is engaged in the following 4 activities: (1) Development and Disposition—managing a portfolio of real estate development projects; (2) New Communities Initiative—managing projects envisioned to revitalize severely distressed subsidized housing and redevelop neighborhoods into vibrant mixed-income communities; (3) St. Elizabeth’s East—managing a project designed to create well-planned, multi-use, mixed-income, walkable, livable community on the St. Elizabeth’s East Campus, including the Entertainment and Sports Arena; (4) Walter Reed Army Medical Center—providing administrative support to the Walter Reed Army Medical Center Local Redevelopment Authority and manages implementation of the reuse plan; and (5) special projects, including public-private partnerships involving public infrastructure and facilities
Real Estate Development Project Managers at DMPED are responsible for managing a portfolio of real estate development, financing, and related projects, which help to grow the District economy and create opportunities for other social benefits. This position will also serve as project manager for the District’s New Communities Initiative in addition to serving as project manager on other projects in DMPED’s portfolio, especially those where DMPED partners with the District of Columbia Housing Authority. Successful candidates will demonstrate an ability to manage the District’s interest in a variety of real estate projects. Project Managers must be able to independently and proactively manage project milestones, negotiations and budgets, as well as interactions with private and public counterparts.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Administering multiple real estate and/or financing transactions.
- Representing and promoting the District’s interest on all projects.
- Managing solicitation processes by drafting requests for proposals, reviewing submissions, communicating with the community and stakeholders, and making recommendations for award.
- Negotiating disposition contracts, leases, and funding agreements.
- Negotiating and managing interactions with private and public counterparts.
- Interfacing with internal stakeholders to define project requirements and constraints
- Creating, reviewing and analyzing detailed financial models of development projects, including value-for-money analyses.
- Creating project budgets and schedules, then independently and proactively managing project milestones and budgets.
- Tracking and reporting progress of each project against goals, objectives, approved budgets, and approved timelines.
- Identifying project risks, developing risk mitigation and contingency plans, and implementing action plans to reduce or eliminate project risks.
- Analyzing and presenting findings and recommendations to senior staff in written and verbal form.
- Briefing DMPED senior staff and elected officials on project status.
- Conducting presentations and meetings with community stakeholders.
- Presenting before the DC Council at hearings regarding the surplus and disposition of Districtowned land, as well as gap financing agreements for related DMPED projects
- Undergraduate degree required.
- 5-7 years of real estate related work experience required, including real estate focused banking, development, finance, consulting, urban planning, and/or public policy.
- Understanding commercial and residential real estate development and leasing transactions, as well as public-private partnership concepts and their application to District government.
- Familiarity and experience developing and interpreting financial analysis and deal structures.
- Familiarity and experience with project management duties including project implementation from conception to completion.
- Proven strength in the use of spreadsheets, database and presentation applications, including Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.
- Strong attention-to-detail and organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task; to be a team player; and to be flexible and adaptable to change.
- Demonstrated ability to use sound judgment and to be an effective decision maker.
- Understanding of District economic development issues, neighborhoods and real estate market.
- Strong interpersonal, written, verbal and analytical skills.
- Experience with community engagement and/or executive stakeholder management a plus.
- Experience with legislative processes a plus.
- Experience working on large-scale, phased developments a plus.
Salary: This position is a grade 13 on the District government’s career service salary scale. The salary ranges from $87,703 to $113,002. Actual salary is determined by a variety of factors including: years of experience, applicant qualifications, internal equity comparisons, agency organizational structure, and the applicant’s past salary history.
Application Process: This position is posted on the DC government’s Department of Human Resources (DCHR) website. Interested applicants are encouraged to follow the steps below to apply for the position:
- Click on the following link:
- https://careers.dc.gov/psc/erecruit/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH _FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_SCHJOB_FL&Action=U
- In the Search Jobs section, enter 8956
- Click on the job requisition entitled Project Manager