Open Until: March 18, 2019
The Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED) assists the Mayor in the coordination, planning, supervision, and execution of economic development efforts in the District of Columbia with the goal of creating and preserving affordable housing, creating jobs, and increasing tax revenue. DMPED pursues policies and programs that create strong neighborhoods, expand and diversify the local economy, and provide residents with pathways to the middle class. More information is available on the DMPED’s website at dmped.dc.gov.
DMPED is seeking a Project Manager for its Business Development & Strategy unit.
The Business Development & Strategy unit fosters a strong and equitable local economy through the implementation of DC’s Economic Strategy by supporting existing businesses and entrepreneurs, attracting new businesses and forging partnerships between government, business and communities that foster economic growth.
The Project Manager will serve in the role of Business Development and Strategy Analyst, implementing the strategic plan of the Business Development & Strategy unit. A successful Business Development and Strategy Analyst will analyze data (such as rates of job loss and creation, business creation, expansion and departure), effectively convey insights from data to inform business development efforts, support project management and promotion, assist with employer engagement, and support strategic initiatives. The incumbent of this position will work closely with the Director of Business Development on various business attraction, retention and expansion efforts.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Analyze relevant data and effectively convey data-based findings and trends using, for example, key indicator dashboards, data visualizations and infographics, and maps created using GIS.
- Monitor and evaluate the progress and impact of the business unit and key initiatives and work closely with communications colleagues to communicate progress.
- Support the promotion of the District as an ideal place for businesses to locate.
- Assist with preparation and follow up for meetings and events.
- Maintain an inventory of resources available to businesses throughout the DC ecosystem.
- Track business engagements using a CRM.
- Other duties as assigned, which could include responding to general inquiries from companies interested in relocating to or expanding their presence in the District, preparing briefing memos and drafting talking points.
- Bachelor’s degree (required) or Masters degree (preferred) with focus in business, economics or related field preferred.
- Familiarity with the District of Columbia’s neighborhoods and business environment.
- At least 3-5 years of similar work experience.
- Familiarity with economic and community development including business attraction and retention.
- Exceptional planning and organizing skills, with the ability to manage large-scale meetings and events.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Team oriented and very collaborative.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Entrepreneurial thinking and skills are highly welcomed.
- Desire to leverage skills to serve the public interest required; interest in local economic and community development preferred
- Demonstrated advanced experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint is required.
- Experience with Tableau, Stata or other statistical applications is preferred.
- GIS and/or graphic design experience is preferred.
Salary: This position is a grade 12 on the District government’s career service salary scale. The salary ranges from $73,906 to $94,543. Actual salary is determined by a variety of factors including: years of experience, applicant qualifications, internal equity comparisons and the agency organizational structure.
Application Process: Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line title of Business Development and Strategy Analyst opportunity. All resumes must be submitted by Monday, March 18, 2019 for consideration.