Position Title: Attorney Advisor
Agency Title: Assistant General Counsel
Job ID: 10694
Open To: Public
Open Period: June 2, 2020 – July 3, 2020
The District of Columbia’s Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED) assists the Mayor in the coordination, planning, supervision, and execution of economic development efforts in the District of Columbia with the goal of creating and preserving affordable housing, creating jobs, and increasing tax revenue. More information is available on the DMPED’s website at dmped.dc.gov.
DMPED is seeking an Attorney Advisor for its General Counsel unit. The General Counsel unit is responsible for providing legal action and advice for projects and issues affecting DMPED.
The Attorney Advisor serves in the role of Assistant General Counsel at DMPED The Assistant General Counsel advises DMPED staff on District of Columbia and federal law affecting the programs within DMPED, which include real estate, real estate finance, contracts, municipal governance, and appropriations. In addition, the attorneys within the Office provide legal support in drafting a wide array of documents, including contracts, Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs), grants agreements, legislation, real estate transactional documents, regulations, and policies.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Provides legal advice to the Deputy Mayor and his staff on legal issues involving DMPED’s programs and operations.
- Prepares legal documents on complex and substantive matters, sometimes of an urgent nature, providing summary analyses of issues and recommendations for consideration of the Deputy Mayor and his staff.
- Conducts legal research on laws relevant to DMPED’s programs and provides clear, well-reasoned analysis on the findings in either a written or oral format.
- Represents DMPED in the negotiation of the terms of complex real estate, affordable housing, and finance transactions, grant agreements, and other related contracts, with third parties.
- Counsels the Deputy Mayor and his staff on conflict of interest issues, government ethics, and FOIA.
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Juris Doctorate (JD) required.
- Must be a graduate from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association and at least five years of related experience in the legal field, in real estate acquisition and disposition, economic development, land use, or affordable housing financing.
- Must be a current member in good standing of the District of Columbia Bar or be eligible for waiver into the bar.
- Candidates who have independently handled complex transactions will be more highly rated.
- Experience in municipal law and drafting legislation is preferred, but not required.
- Understanding of the mission, functions, organization, policies, and system requirements of the District of Columbia government as well as the mission and programs of DMPED.
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced working environment by providing responsive and well-reasoned legal advice and work product on time-sensitive issues. Produces written work product that is clear, concise, and free from errors in a short period of time.
- Superior critical thinking and analysis of legal issues, some of which may be novel.
- Superior communication skills both orally and in writing to prepare and present oral and narrative reports. Superior legal writing and public speaking skills. Ability to exercise tact, discretion and skill in personal relations in dealing with persons at various level, job categories, and groups, especially in a public forum.
Salary: This position is a grade 14 on the District government’s legal service union salary scale. The salary ranges from $118,319 to $153,833. Actual salary is determined by a variety of factors including: years of experience, applicant qualifications, internal equity comparisons, and Agency organizational structure.
Application Process: This position is posted on the DC government’s Department of Human Resources (DCHR) website. Interested applicants are encouraged to follow the steps below to apply for the position:
- Click on the following link: https://careers.dc.gov/psc/erecruit/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.G BL?FOCUS=Applicant
- In the Search Jobs section, enter 10694
- Click on the job requisition entitled Attorney Advisor