Position Title: Business Development Specialist
Job ID: 14209
Open To: Public
Open Period: September 3, 2021 – September 8, 2021
The D.C. Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED) assists the Mayor in the coordination, planning, supervision, and execution of economic development efforts in the District of Columbia with the goal of creating and preserving affordable housing, creating jobs, and increasing tax revenue. DMPED pursues policies and programs that create strong neighborhoods, expand and diversify the local economy, and provide residents with pathways to the middle class. More information is available on the DMPED’s website at dmped.dc.gov. DMPED is seeking a Business Development Specialist for the Great Streets Initiative program, located within DMPED’s Business Development & Strategy Unit.
The mission of the Business Development Unit is to attract and retain businesses, create jobs, and forge partnerships between government, business and communities. We implement our mission through a comprehensive approach based on proven business attraction, retention and expansion strategies to foster inclusive economic growth for residents of the District of Columbia. The Great Streets initiative is housed within this unit and focuses on the revitalization of emerging commercial corridors and transforming them into livable, walkable, and shoppable neighborhood retail experiences.
The Business Development Specialist will serve in the role of the Director of Great Streets & Retail, working to successfully implement the goals of the Great Streets Initiative and the strategic plan of the Business Development unit. A successful Director of Great Streets & Retail will manage the operations of the Great Streets program, coordinate business development promotion, collaborate with DC agencies that support businesses, and brand/market the great streets corridors. The incumbent of this position will work closely with the Director of Business Development & Strategy.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Effectively manage a commercial economic development grant program within a DC Government agency from solicitation to post-award evaluation.
- Develop strategies that support small businesses and local retail in the District.
- Monitor grant awards to ensure that goals and deliverables are met, including conducting corridor walks to assess the performance of great streets grantees.
- Effectively track and manage all grantee information and post-award evaluation reporting in a database (Smartsheet).
- Conduct business & retail outreach and engagement.
- Testify before Council about the Great Streets program on an as needed basis.
- Identify corridor-specific needs and facilitate strategic investments.
- Brand and market great streets corridors to attract other businesses and investments.
- Create and maintain robust partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop corridor specific branding.
- Track and monitor business engagements and follow-up.
- Keep track of legislative policy changes that pertain to business development along Great Streets corridors.
- Maintain and develop tools to measure and evaluate the progress of the Great Streets initiative.
- Support the promotion of the District as an ideal place for businesses to locate.
- Other duties as assigned, which could include marketing, website development, and responding to general inquiries from companies interested in relocating to or expanding their presence in the District.
- Experience managing grant programs.
- Experience managing a commercial economic development program.
- Bachelor’s degree with focus in business, economics or related field preferred.
- Familiarity with the District of Columbia’s neighborhoods and business environment.
- At least 7-10 years of similar work experience.
- Familiarity with economic and community development including business attraction and retention, and marketing.
- Exceptional project management skills with a solid understanding of managing aspect of a project from start to finish.
- Exceptional planning and organizing skills, with the ability to manage large-scale meetings and events.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Team oriented and very collaborative.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Entrepreneurial thinking and skills are highly welcomed.
- Knowledge of statistical and analytical techniques applicable to economic and demographic data.
- Desire to leverage skills to serve the public interest required; interest in local economic and community development preferred.
- Demonstrated advanced experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint is required.
Salary: This position is a grade 14 on the District government’s career service non-union salary scale. The salary ranges from $103,657- $133,537, based on funding. Actual salary is determined by a variety of factors including years of experience, applicant qualifications, internal equity comparisons, agency budget and agency organizational structure.
Application Process: This position is posted on the DC government’s Department of Human Resources (DCHR) website. Interested applicants are encouraged to follow the steps below to apply for the position:
- Click on the following link:
- In the Search Jobs section, enter 14209
- Click on the job requisition entitled Business Development Specialist