(Los Angeles, CA) Today, Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development Brian Kenner announced that his team is hosting its Obviously DC West Coast Mission to build on the Bowser Administration’s effort to pitch Washington, DC as the capital of inclusive innovation, identify opportunities for investment and tech growth, and explore the future of transit mobility as a pathway to sustainability and job creation.
“We are continuing our efforts to reach beyond our borders to identify opportunities for strengthening the District’s economy and creating jobs for District residents,” said Deputy Mayor Kenner. “This mission allows us to directly connect with tech companies and investors while collaborating with policy leaders to develop ideas that can help shape the future of Washington, DC.”
The weeklong mission, with support from the Washington DC Economic Partnership (WDCEP), begins February 17 with stops in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Portland. The mission will include meetings with LA Cleantech Incubator, Postmates, Backstage Capital, and the Portland Business Alliance. Additionally, the team will participate in panel discussions hosted by organizations such as Alice in partnership with Pivotal Labs, Impact Hub San Francisco, and Alley Powered by Verizon. Panel discussions will focus on topics such as transit mobility, inclusive investment, and impact economy. The team will close out the mission with a visit to Portland where they will meet with Mayor Ted Wheeler to discuss opportunities for the two cities to share vision for inclusive investment, strengthening the tech sector and mobility policy ideas.
“My administration and our local partners are proud to exchange ideas, best practices and our vision for shared prosperity with the delegation from Washington, DC,” said Portland Mayor Wheeler. “Portland and other west coast cities will always seek to be on the leading edge of innovation and will support incubation spaces for the creation of technology advancements that contribute to overall quality of life and economic vitality of our regions, states, and nation.”
“The Washington, DC’s continued investment to highlight our businesses leaders in technology and innovation demonstrates our dedication to showcase the District as the capital of inclusive innovation, and willingness to collaborate with jurisdictions across the country.” said Keith J. Sellars, President & CEO of WDCEP. “This West Coast Mission is just one of many opportunities to do just that.”
In addition to Deputy Mayor Kenner, the District’s delegation includes:
- The Honorable Kenyan McDuffie, Ward 5 Councilmember, DC Council
- John Falcicchio, Chief of Staff, Executive Office of the Mayor
- Karima Woods, Director of Business Development and Strategy, Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development
- Chanda Washington, Director of Communications, Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development
- Sharon Carney, Economic Strategy Director, Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development
- Joycelyn James, Tech and Innovation Portfolio Manager, Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development
- Chanell Autry, Committee Director, DC Council
- Jeff Marootian, Director, DC Department of Transportation
- Greg O’Dell, President/CEO, Events DC
- Keith Sellars, President/CEO, Washington DC Economic Partnership
- Tiffany Thacker, Vice President of Programs, Washington DC Economic Partnership
- Kevin Morgan, Director of Tech Sector Attraction and Retention, Washington DC Economic Partnership
Additional members of the District’s delegation from the private and non-profit sectors are:
- Spiros Balntas, Director of Business Recruitment, Montgomery County Economic Development Corp.
- Ryan Croft, Co-founder, TransitScreen
- C’pher Gresham, Vice President of Communities, SEED Spot
- Penny Lee, Chief Strategy Officer, 1776
- Vernon Lee, Managing Director of The Marathon Foundation
- Duane McKnight, Managing Director of the Marathon Foundation
- Kimberly Moore, CEO, Carpool 2 School
- David Petr, President/CEO, Montgomery County Economic Development Corp.
- Aaron Saunders, Inclusive Innovation Incubator
- Deloris Wilson, Head of Strategy and Operations, BEACON
Reporters seeking to interview the Deputy Mayor while on the West Coast are encouraged to contact Chanda Washington at (202) 340-6318.