The Thaddeus Stevens Elementary School is located at 1050 21st Street, NW in Ward 2. The Property is improved with an approximately 40,000 square foot historic school building and a playground. The Stevens School building was built in 1868 as one of the District’s first publicly funded schools for African-American children. The school was named for Thaddeus Stevens (1792-1868), a Pennsylvania congressman and prominent abolitionist who championed “free schools” for all. It was the oldest surviving elementary school in the District of Columbia and served as a school until it was closed in 2008.
The Thaddeus Stevens School building was added to the DC Inventory of Historic Sites in 1972 and then designated a National Historic Landmark (by the National Parks Services) in 2001.
The building is currently vacant and slated for renovation and occupation by an educational user.
Surplus and Disposition