Mayor Bowser and the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning & Economic Development is investing $5.4 million in the Small Medium Business Growth Fund, a program that will offer grants aimed to retain and expand district-based small businesses by supporting large scale capital improvements, large equipment purchasing, and technological advancements within retail, professional services, industrial-based businesses and manufacturing industries.
The Small Medium Business Growth Fund targets:
- Professional Services (this includes technology/life sciences companies)
- Small Business Investment Projects (for profit & non-profit*)
- New businesses and existing businesses
- Startups participating in a DC accelerator/incubator*
Grants made to small businesses will support funding under four categories. Businesses may apply for funding in one of the following categories:
Awards up to $50,000 to support capital improvement, purchase of large equipment, and retail expansion.
Awards up to $100,000 to support capital improvement, purchase of large equipment on commercial property with a designated industrial use.
Small Business Investment Projects
Awards up to $600,000 to support innovative projects that elevate the development of distressed and emerging neighborhoods throughout the district. Note: the project must be delivered within a 12-month timeline.
Awards up to $200,000 to support technology advancements like automation, AI, Machine Learning, VR, robotic process automations, augmented reality, systems upgrades and processes that allow businesses to scale.
Opening: Friday, April 22, 2022
Closing: Friday, May 27, 2022 at 4:00 PM EST
- Access Application Here
- Small Medium Business Growth Fund Presentation
- Get Small Medium Business Growth Fund Ready
- Get Small Medium Business Growth Fund Ready - Spanish
- Get Small Medium Business Growth Fund Ready - Chinese
- Get Small Medium Business Growth Fund Ready - Korean
- Get Small Medium Business Growth Fund Ready - Vietnamese
To be considered for funding, applicants must apply online at the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development GrantVantage Online Application Portal.
For the application process, applicants will submit proposals using the online grant management system at: GrantVantage - Application Process.
- Applications will be submitted online through the GrantVantage system. Applicants will be required to follow a series of steps to submit their application: GrantVantage Applicant Instructions
1. Create an Applicant Profile
2. Answer applicant questions
- Applicants will send technical support questions to GrantVantage at [email protected]. Technical assistance will be available during business hours 9:00 am - 6:00 pm EST.
For questions about the grant content, applicants will submit questions to [email protected]
Information Sessions Register Here
- VIRTUAL SESSIONS
- Session 2 VIRTUAL May 3 (12- 1 pm)
- Session 3 VIRTUAL May 10 (12- 1 pm)
- Session 4 VIRTUAL May 17 (12- 1 pm) Register in advance for this meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwvdOugrTkuE9VNednhHdXRqYsxgbfOPtGL .
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
- IN-PERSON SESSIONS
- May 5- Location: 3200 MLK Jr Ave SE (10 am- 12 pm)
- May 19- Location: MHCDO, 3939 Benning RD NE (1- 2 pm)