The site at Matthews Memorial Terrace is a vital housing development opportunity and an important part of the New Communities Initiative's goal of providing high quality housing options for District residents. The site is the location of 99 housing units for Ward 8 residents comprised of 32 senior units, 32 family units and the 35 replacement units for Barry Farm residents. The community will benefit from close proximity to a variety of supportive services from a facility that Matthews Memorial Baptist Church is constructing next door. In addition, the project is expected to feature underground parking, a community room and a small garden. The Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development is contributing $6.12 million in District subsidy.
The District broke ground on the project in the summer of 2010. Construction was completed early 2012.
- The Community Builders, Inc. and Matthews Memorial Church
- Residential: 99 units (35 replacement units for Barry Farm)
- Proposed Development (GSF): 96,032 sq ft
- Residential: 59,992 sq ft
- Community Center: 3,200 sq ft
- Development Cost: $21.7 million
Community Benefits and Civic Investments
- Much-needed housing units and replacement at affordable and market rate price ranges
- Close proximity to the planned Barry Farm Recreation Center
- Improved connections between the Anacostia River and Historic Anacostia, Barry Farm, Sheridan Station and other surrounding communities