Position Title: Legislative Affairs Specialist
Open To: Public
Open Period: Friday, August 24, 2018 – Friday, September 14, 2018
Overview:The Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED) assists the Mayor in the coordination, planning, supervision, and execution of economic development efforts in the District of Columbia with the goal of creating and preserving affordable housing, creating jobs, and increasing tax revenue. DMPED pursues policies and programs that create strong neighborhoods, expand and diversify the local economy, and provide residents with pathways to the middle class. More information is available on the DMPED’s website at dmped.dc.gov.
The Legislative Affairs Specialist is responsible for assisting the Legislative Director with researching, drafting, analyzing, tracking and making recommendations on all aspects of legislation for the agency as well as assisting with Freedom of Information requests. This includes working closely with the various teams within DMPED, economic development cluster agencies, the Executive Office of the Mayor, and District Councilmembers and their staff. This role requires demonstrated legislative experience, superior interpersonal skills, and a strong work ethic.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Interfacing with DMPED staff, the Mayor’s Office of Policy and Legislative Affairs, and District Council on behalf of the Agency.
- Drafting and routing DMPED’s resolutions, bills, rulemakings, and delegations of authority.
- Monitoring and tracking legislation related to economic development and cluster agencies.
- Drafting summaries of legislation that have direct effects on DMPED.
- Preparing DMPED staff for public hearings and meetings with Councilmembers.
- Reviewing and editing cluster agency legislation, rulemakings, testimony and responses to Councilmember questions.
- Coordinating, collaborating and advising with others on legal matters affecting the agency.
- Assisting the Legislative Director with Freedom of Information Requests.
- Performing other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required with a concentration in public policy, public administration, business management or related field. Advanced degree with legal focus preferred.
- 3 to 5 years of work related experience; OR any combination of education and experience which exhibits the ability to perform satisfactorily in the position.
- Advanced knowledge of and skill in researching D.C. Code, LIMS, DCMR, Lexis/Nexis and Westlaw on issues related to Economic Development.
- Knowledge of and skill in applying analytical and evaluative methods and techniques to resolve problems, conduct research, and make recommendations.
- Ability to plan and coordinate multiple projects and project activities simultaneously that involve a combination of priorities.
- Ability to work independently and anticipate needs of the Agency.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills sufficient to provide clarification, interpretation, and other guidance on existing or proposed legislation. Skill in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with all levels of management, staff, District offices, private organizations and special interest groups.
- Skill in the use personal computers which includes familiarity with the Microsoft Office software programs.
- Experience with legislative drafting or knowledge of Freedom of Information Act a plus.
Salary: This position is a grade 12 on the District government’s career service salary scale. The salary ranges from $72,457 to $92,689. Actual salary is determined by a variety of factors including years of experience, applicant qualifications, internal equity comparisons, agency organizational structure and the applicant’s salary history.
Application Process: Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line title of Legislative Affairs Specialist opportunity. All resumes must be submitted by Friday, September 14, 2018 for consideration.