The Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED) assists the Mayor in the coordination, planning, supervision, and execution of economic development efforts in the District of Columbia with the goal of creating and preserving affordable housing, creating jobs, and increasing tax revenue. DMPED pursues policies and programs that create strong neighborhoods, expand and diversify the local economy, and provide residents with pathways to the middle class. More information is available on the DMPED’s website at www.dmped.dc.gov.
The Communications unit is responsible for leading communications efforts (media relations, community outreach, public engagement events and digital media) for DMPED. The incumbent of this position will serve in the role of Marketing and Communications Analyst with a focus on developing, facilitating and implementing communications functions and strategies for DMPED’s Business Development & Strategy unit. The Business Development & Strategy unit fosters a strong and equitable local economy through the implementation of the Economic Strategy by supporting existing businesses and entrepreneurs, attracting new businesses and forging partnerships between government, business and communities that foster economic growth.
The Marketing and Communications Analyst will assist with implementing the strategic plan of the Business Development & Strategy unit under the guidance of the Communications unit. A successful Marketing and Communications Analyst will assist with message development, marketing campaigns, and media relations. The incumbent of this position will work closely with the Director of Communications and the Director of Business Development on various communications and business development marketing efforts.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Support the promotion of the District of Columbia as an ideal place for businesses to locate.
- Serve as point of contact for all Business Development marketing and communications work.
- Manage Business Development website and marketing campaign.
- Prepare briefing memos for all Business Development related speaking events, including speaking events for Deputy Mayor.
- Focus on messaging for Business Development initiatives ensuring alignment with DMPED and the Executive Office of the Mayor.
- Liaise with external vendors for marketing campaigns and initiatives.
- Storyboard development.
- Communicate strategies to reporters.
- Other duties as assigned, which could include marketing, website development, and responding to general inquiries from companies interested in relocating to or expanding their presence in the District.
- Bachelor’s degree with focus in marketing, public relations, communications or related field preferred.
- At least 3-5 years of similar work experience.
- Familiarity with the District of Columbia’s neighborhoods and business environment.
- Experience working with reporters and other members of the media.
- Ability to deliver key messaging across multiple platforms, with focus on social media.
- Exceptional planning and organizing skills, with the ability to manage large-scale meetings and events.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Team oriented and very collaborative.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Entrepreneurial thinking and skills are highly welcomed.
- Desire to leverage skills to serve the public interest required; interest in local economic, business and community development preferred.
- Demonstrated advanced experience with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint is required.
Salary: This position is a grade 12 on the District government’s career service salary scale. The salary ranges from $70,345 to $89,922. Actual salary is determined by a variety of factors including: years of experience, applicant qualifications, internal equity comparisons, and agency organizational structure.
Application Process: Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] wwith the subject line title of Marketing and Communications Analyst opportunity. All resumes must be submitted by Friday, February 23, 2018 for consideration.