Agency Title: Program Analyst (Economic Intelligence) - Grade 11
Open To: Public
Open Period: Monday, October 15, 2018 - Friday, October 26, 2018
The Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED) assists the Mayor in the coordination, planning, supervision, and execution of economic development efforts in the District of Columbia with the goal of creating and preserving affordable housing, creating jobs, and increasing tax revenue. DMPED pursues policies and programs that create strong neighborhoods, expand and diversify the local economy, and provide residents with pathways to the middle class.
DMPED is seeking a Program Analyst for its Economic Intelligence Team. The Economic Intelligence team uses data science and analytics help implement policy, communicates economic trends in the District, and builds tools for the government and the public to access better data and better insights on our city. One of the team’s primary products is the Economic Intelligence dashboard: http://open.dc.gov/economic-intelligence.
The Program Analyst will serve on both ongoing analytical projects as well as ad hoc projects as needed. A successful Program Analyst is a quick learner, eager to grow in analysis and coding skills, and is comfortable working both within a small team and taking initiative on independent projects. The Program Analyst should be passionate about cities and interested in using data to make policy decisions.
This position requires a mix of skillsets. Therefore, candidates with variant backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including those with a strong coding background that want to transition into policy and/or real estate; coding beginners with expertise and interest in urban economic trends; academic researchers that are interested in civic technology; or project managers that want to build a tech and policy skillset.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Creating compelling data visualizations to analyze and illustrate the impacts of policy initiatives, supporting DMPED’s real estate, business development, and legislative teams.
- Managing a portfolio of policy-based projects and/or representing DMPED on interagency working groups at the intersection of technology, data, and policy.
- Working with Chief of Staff and data-oriented staff in Economic Development cluster agencies on initiatives to make government data more useful and insightful.
- Performing high-priority ad hoc data analysis / research projects as needed; independent data analysis projects as workload permits.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 1-3 years similar work experience required.
- Strong ability to interpret and communicate data; strong visual and analytical skills required.
- Demonstrated advanced experience with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint is required.
- Desire to leverage skills to serve the public interest required.
- Interest in local economic and community development preferred.
- Prior use of Python for data analysis & visualization (or similar software) and/or mapping software (ArcGIS) is preferred. Candidates with some demonstrated technical data analysis ability but who lack experience in these specific tools are still encouraged to apply.
- Prior use of business analysis and/or data visualization work using tools like Tableau or D3 preferred.
Salary: This position is a grade 11 on the District government’s career service salary scale. The salary ranges from $59,727 to $77,007. Actual salary is determined by a variety of factors including: years of experience, applicant qualifications, internal equity comparisons and agency organizational structure.
Application Process: Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line title of Program Analyst – Economic Intelligence Team opportunity. All resumes must be submitted by Friday, October 26, 2018 for consideration.