The Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED) is charged with executing the Mayor's economic development strategy, which encourages growth and investments across the District. DMPED is responsible for managing catalytic real estate projects, promoting business expansion within the city, and creating jobs. More information is available on the DMPED’s website at www.dmped.dc.gov.
DMPED is seeking a Program Analyst for its Economic Intelligence Team. The Economic Intelligence team is responsible for providing analytical insight and assisting with DMPED’s internal and open-government data initiatives to help implement data-driven policymaking and engage in innovative economic development strategies. One of the team’s primary products is the Economic Intelligence dashboard, which can be found at: http://open.dc.gov/economic-intelligence.
The Program Analyst will serve on both ongoing analytical projects as well as ad hoc projects as needed. A successful Program Analyst should be comfortable working both within a small team and taking initiative on independent projects. Here is an example in Curbed DC of a DMPED project that is helping the public track the city’s development – a project our new team member would be involved with immediately.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Creating compelling data visualizations to analyze and illustrate the impacts of policy initiatives, supporting DMPED’s real estate, business development, and legislative teams.
- Managing a portfolio of policy-based projects and/or representing DMPED on interagency working groups at the intersection of technology, data, and policy.
- Working with Chief of Staff and data-oriented staff in Economic Development cluster agencies on initiatives to make government data more useful and insightful.
- Performing high-priority ad hoc data analysis / research projects as needed; independent data analysis projects as workload permits.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- At least 3-5 years similar work experience preferred.
- Desire to leverage skills to serve the public interest required; interest in local economic and community development preferred.
- Demonstrated advanced experience with Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and with relational databases is required.
- Experience working with economic and/or demographic data, including familiarity with survey methodology, is required.
- Prior use of business analysis and/or data visualization work using tools like Tableau or D3 is preferred.
- Strong ability to interpret and communicate data; strong visual and analytical skills required.
- Candidate must be a self-starter and outcome-driven, with demonstrated experience with managing stakeholders.
Salary: This position is a grade 12 on the District government’s career service salary scale. The salary ranges from $70,345 - $89,992. Actual salary is determined by a variety of factors including: years of experience, applicant qualifications, internal equity comparisons and agency organizational structure.
Application Process: Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject line title of Program Analyst – Economic Intelligence Team opportunity. All resumes must be submitted by Friday, February 9, 2018 for consideration.