Position Title: Contract Specialist
Job ID: 5940
Open To: Public
Open Period: January 7, 2019 - January 22, 2019
The Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED) assists the Mayor in the coordination, planning, supervision, and execution of economic development efforts in the District of Columbia with the goal of creating and preserving affordable housing, creating jobs, and increasing tax revenue. DMPED pursues policies and programs that create strong neighborhoods, expand and diversify the local economy, and provide residents with pathways to the middle class. More information is available on DMPED’s website at dmped.dc.gov.
DMPED is seeking a highly motivated, self-starting Contract Specialist who wants to make a positive difference in the lives of District residents. The incumbent will work within DMPED’s Contracts, Procurement and Grants business unit assisting with solicitation, award and contract management duties pertaining to contracts and procurement.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develops the solicitation, which includes statement of work, terms and conditions, and other requirements for complex procurements.
- Advertises and posts the solicitation on the District website. Conducts pre‐proposal meetings with prospective contractor(s) to ensure they have a clear understanding of what is required under the proposed contract.
- Prepares detailed analyses of proposed contractor price or costs to determine if the price or cost range is reasonable.
- Leads the technical evaluation panel.
- Provides instructions and guidance to the panel members on how to evaluate proposals.
- Serves as the District's lead negotiator.
- Plans and coordinates the District negotiation strategy, and leads negotiations with the contractor to determine final contract prices and terms.
- Serves as a technical advisor to District and program staff on procurement issues.
- Provides guidance, instructions, and advice to Project Managers to help them better navigate the procurement process.
- Performs contract administration activities such as contract modifications and development of change orders.
- Issues stop work orders, reviews settlement proposals and terminates contracts.
- Ensures contractors comply with all applicable rules and regulations.
- Provides technical advice and guidance to lower‐level Contracts staff.
- Performs other job‐related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3-5 years of work experience in contracts and procurement.
- District Government contracts and procurement experience preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of contracting procedures, methods, and contract types including formal advertising, negotiation, fixed price, cost contracting, and use of special provisions and incentives; advanced knowledge of the principles of acquisitions planning to develop and implement plans to procure various goods and services.
Salary: This position is a grade 13 on the District government’s career service salary scale. The salary ranges from $85,149to $109,710. Actual salary is determined by a variety of factors including: years of experience, applicant qualifications, internal equity comparisons, agency organizational structure and the applicant’s past salary history.
Application Process: This position is posted on the DC government’s Department of Human Resources (DCHR) website. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply via the following link: https://careers.dc.gov/psc/erecruit/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?FOCUS=Applicant