Request for Applications (RFA)
FY2018 Great Streets Retail Small Business Grant
Release Date: Friday, July 28, 2017
RFA ID #: DMPED – GSSBG – 572817
Submission Deadline: Friday, September 8, 2017 at 5:00 PM EST
The Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED) is soliciting grant applications from qualified small business owners who wish to improve their place of business. The purpose of the Great Streets Small Business Grant is to support existing small businesses, attract new businesses, increase the District’s tax base, create new job opportunities for District residents, and transform designated emerging commercial corridors into thriving and inviting neighborhood centers.
DMPED invites the submission of applications by qualified businesses for Great Streets Retail Small Business Grants pursuant to the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development Limited Grant-Making Authority Amendment Act 2016, effective October 8, 2016 (D.C. Law 21-160; D.C. Official Code § 1-328.04) and from the Economic Development Special Account pursuant to D.C. Official Code §2-1225.21.
Great Street Corridors (Retail Priority Areas): Grants are offered to small businesses located in the following Great Street Corridors:
- 7th Street NW
- 14th & U Streets NW (including Adams Morgan and Columbia Heights)
- Connecticut Avenue NW
- Georgia Ave NW
- H Street/Bladensburg Road NE
- Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue/South Capitol Street SE/SW
- Minnesota Avenue/Benning Road NE
- Nannie Helen Burroughs Avenue NE
- New York Avenue SE
- North Capitol Street NW/NE
- Pennsylvania Avenue SE
- Rhode Island Avenue NE
- Wisconsin Avenue NW
Prospective applicants can verify their location eligibility via the interactive mapping tool found here.
Eligible Applicants: Eligible applicants are small retail and service-oriented businesses that meet the following requirements:
- Operate a business with a location that is on or within a Great Street Corridor;
- Operate a business that has not previously received Great Streets funding for the specified business property. For locations with multiple businesses occupying the specified business property (i.e. a business occupying and/or in the same suite), the maximum award is$50,000 between the businesses; and
- Operate a business that has previously received Great Streets funding, but are applying for funding for a new, additional location. Previously-awarded businesses that are expanding existing operations and/or relocating to another location are not eligible. Businesses cannot receive more than $150,000 of aggregate funding from the Great Streets or H Street Grants Programs.
Ineligible Applicants: The following types of businesses are ineligible to receive grant funding under this program:
- Adult entertainment
- Auto body repair
- Bar, Tavern or Nightclub1
- Construction/general contracting/architecture/design-build
- Cyber or online only
- Financial services
- Liquor store
- Phone store
- Professional services
- Real estate development/property management/realtor2
- Seasonal (partial year)
Grant Information Sessions: A schedule of information and live web chat sessions hosted by DMPED is posted to the Great Streets website and is accessible via this link: https://greatstreets.dc.gov/calendar/month. Prospective applicants that have questions regarding this Request for Applications (RFA) are encouraged to attend one (1) of these sessions.
All applications must be submitted electronically. Hand delivered or mailed applications will not be accepted. Adherence to the deadline is essential. Incomplete applications or those submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
Point of Contact:
DMPED Grants Team
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (202) 724-8111